Nestled in the Bowmanville neighborhood just 10 miles north of Downtown Chicago, Rogers Park Montessori School, established in 1966, serves children ages 2-14. We have a proud tradition of teacher collaboration and support. The students, teaching faculty, and parents of our two toddler classrooms, six 3-6 classrooms, five 6-9 classrooms, four 9-12 classrooms, and one Middle School classroom comprise a close-knit school community.
Currently, we are seeking a motivated Children’s House Classroom Assistant with strong organization and communication skills who values working as part of a dynamic, creative team to join our school community.
The Classroom Assistant assists the Head Teacher to guide the children’s activities academically, emotionally, and physically in a prepared Montessori environment that challenges each child to reach his/her fullest potential. The Classroom Assistant is responsible for upholding the purpose, standards and policies of RPMS as outlined in the Parent and Employee Handbooks under the supervision and evaluation of the Head Teacher. The Classroom Assistant is expected to conduct himself/herself in an ethical and business professional manner at all times. The Classroom Assistant must maintain all personal information about children, families, organizational issues and other school matters as confidential.
Interactions with Children
- Provide a positive role model for the children in attitude, speech and attire, treating all children with dignity and respect.
- Develop a positive rapport with children.
- Encourage uninvolved children to participate, balancing time between children working and involving children who are not.
- Model a respectful, quiet speaking voice.
- Communicate effectively with children.
- Interact regularly with the children by introducing materials, allowing the children to work independently without interrupting concentration, observing at a distance and helping children as necessary.
- Oversee the safety and physical well-being of the children at all times.
- Assist in preparing an environment in which the furnishings and materials are complete and correspond to the needs of the group.
- Assist in the care and maintenance of classroom materials.
- Assist in maintaining an orderly environment, keeping it clean and sanitary, and in good aesthetic shape, allowing the children to share this responsibility when possible.
- Assist in maintaining an inventory of the classroom yearly.
- Assist in training and supervising children in the execution of fire drills, including the routing and building exits.
- Protect the privacy and working atmosphere of the class at all times.
Record Keeping and Reporting
- Assist in maintaining curriculum planning, observational and academic records, attendance, and progress reports for each student.
- Report any and all accidents immediately. Prepare a written report stating the date, time and nature of accident, including action taken. Notify Head Teacher.
- Communicate all unusual or observable incidents immediately to the Head Teacher.
- Assist the Head Teacher in implementing school policies and procedures, adult orientation and educational design as requested.
- Attend staff meetings and other school meetings as required.
- Prepare annual goals, participate in self-evaluations, and consult with the Head Teacher regarding professional growth and development.
- Assist with other projects, programs and planning as assigned by the Head Teacher, Program Director or Principal.
- Comply with all policies and procedures outlined in the Staff Handbook.
- Adhere to AMS guidelines and professional standards.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- High ethical standards and sense of the importance of confidentiality.
- Professional and courteous attitude.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Flexibility and openness to new ideas.
- Experience working in a Montessori School, daycare program or other work experience with children.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Ability to fulfill requirements of all state and local licensing agencies affecting the school.
- $17-$20 per hour, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, vision coverage available for full-time employees.
- 401k matching
- Application Information
Please submit resumes and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
RPMS is committed to ensuring our employees represent our diverse school community and to creating an inclusive workplace environment welcoming to people of all backgrounds. RPMS strongly encourages applications from people of color, people of all genders and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. RPMS prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.