The Ancona School seeks a full-time Assistant Teacher at an accredited Montessori Preprimary program, beginning August, 2023. Assistant teachers at Ancona play an integral role in supporting high quality early childhood experiences rooted in the Montessori tradition. Our teachers provide the architecture for the academic and social/emotional development of young children. This is an excellent opportunity to work under the tutelage of a master teacher and observe the theories of progressive education—with an emphasis on social justice—in action throughout our vibrant learning community.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Function
- Responsible to the head teacher and will assist in establishing and maintaining a harmonious classroom, supporting work cycles and discipline practices as modeled by the head teacher
- Help to establish and maintain Montessori classroom culture, pay particular attention to the needs of students
- Cooperate with head teacher to monitor children on the playground/outdoors
- Carefully observe and keep records on each student’s individual progression through the classroom, always available to offer gentle guidance
- Participate in weekly staff meetings
- Participate in all school events and conferences
- Model and demonstrate appropriate social courtesy and respect for children and adults, greeting children warmly each morning and throughout the day
Responsibilities to the Head Teacher:
- Assist the head teacher with the children in their learning and understanding of the Montessori materials
- Be informed and carry out duties as assigned by the head teacher
- Be familiar with school policies
- Inform the head teacher of any classroom issues, including discipline, health, equipment needs, repair and maintenance
- Meet with the head teacher to discuss goals for the class and individual students
Responsibilities to the Children and Parents:
- Keep information confidential
- Be professional and positive in all dealings with children and parents
- Share all information from parents with head teacher
- Support the children in being as independent as possible, encouraging their growth and development and only assisting them when needed.
Responsibilities to the Classroom:
- Clean-up of the classroom, ensuring that it is always tidy
- Update bulletin boards and student work both in and out of the classroom
- Notify the head teacher and office manager as soon as possible so that a substitute can be organized
Reports to Head of School, Director of Student and Family Services, and to the Head Teacher
Work Area Assigned
Classroom or other children’s’ areas; leave only at assigned breaks unless a substitute has been confirmed
Required Qualifications: Education and Experience
- College degree (Bachelor’s or Associate’s) or equivalent work experience
- Montessori trained and certified
- Previous experience in teaching in a Montessori setting (preferred)
- Spanish Fluency (preferred)
- CPR/First Aid certification (preferred)
- Pass a background check
- Have the physical capacity to work with preschool/Kindergarten-aged children
- Keep up with professional development – 15 hours per school year
- Repetitive motion
- Sedentary work, light work, medium work
- Close visual acuity
- Inside and outside environmental conditions
- Respect for children
- Passion for education
- Openness to growth and change
- Expected Hours of Work
- Monday-Friday, 7:45 am-3:30 pm
- Wednesdays, 3:35-4:45 pm (Reserved for Staff Meetings)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
It is the policy of Ancona School not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, handicap, sex, physical condition, developmental disability, sexual orientation or national origin. This policy shall include, but not be limited to, the following: recruitment and employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, compensation, selection for training including apprenticeship, layoff and termination.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a benefits package including medical and dental insurance; tuition remission; professional development opportunities; and an employer-matched retirement plan.
Interested candidates should submit complete this form, and submit it along with a cover letter and resume, in one PDF, to: email@example.com as soon as possible.